Tuesday 10 January 2012

Critical Reflection A

Originally I wasn’t going to talk about censorship. I was going to pick something I already new everything about. That way I could save myself some research time. I’m glad I ended up taking the harder path.

Censorship has always fascinated me; mainly because I'm not good at it. I come across as over-assertive and at times, to blunt. Although my intentions are never to offend anyone, I just can’t hide myself. Apparently I’m an open book. My mom constantly reminds that honesty is not always the best policy. I however, disagree. After about reading why censorship occurs on a global scale, I began to compare it to my home life. My parents censor themselves to protect me, my school believes there are things I shouldn’t know, and my peers want to be accepted. While these are all valid interests, I can’t shake the feeling of what it means to have your integrity. And from this I've learned that to be truly admirable, respected and accepted; you must be honest to others as well as yourself. China’s censorship is much like what I see happening all around me, just in a lighter tone.

People fear that others will turn on them if they don’t tell them what they want to hear. We become obsessed with people pleasing that we begin to forget. Forget our: morals, ideas and individuality. Censorship is often renamed as a white lie. Apparently “sometimes you have to hide your opinion so you don’t hurt anyone’s feelings”. Maybe I’m bitter, maybe I’m broken. For the life of me, I can’t conceal what I feel or think. I think that’s why I choose this topic. To help spread the idea of speaking freely. So take what you want from this blog. It’s just as much yours as it is mine. I know that I’ve left understanding myself better; I’m a girl who doesn’t like to people please. As far as censorship a global issue goes, well I’ve learned that we all share the same problems, just in different variations.

So I leave you with this: censorship is avoidable. We have the right to demand honesty. So go outside and tell some one the truth. Be a voice against censorship. All you have to do is use YOUR voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment