Monday 9 January 2012

Solutions?

I don't think I can write about solutions. I can research this topic until the cows come home, but that doesn't make me qualified to decide on what would be best for the 1.3 billion people living in China. Since I have never confronted China's extreme censorship personally, I find it hard to commit myself to believing in a solution when I cant see the problem with my own eyes. My only suggestion, comes with a long list of pros and cons.

First of all, it is essential that as a nation whom has also signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, we must practise as well as enforce all freedom of speech with in the limits of our own country. We cannot preach the importance of freedom of speech if we don't continue to value it and respect it. Canada must not roll over upon the request of the CPC. In 2011, British Columbia was discussing new trade opportunities with China. China had made it clear that when advertising they were not allowed were reference gambling and gay marriage.  This should have been the deal breaker for the federal government, but they continued to explore this new source of economical growth. In order to suggest that China should remove their censorship, we must make it a priority of ours to ensure freedom of speech and expression under Canadian law at all times.

The economy is seen as axis in which the earth turns. The value of our dollar is constantly reminding us of the importance of not breaking our ties with China. Financially, it would be a horrible idea to boycott Chinese products; so why do it? If everyone refused to buy into China's business plans, they would be forced to change. We give power to the economy, not the other way around. China is one of the most valuable trade partners in the world. Loosing one deal may not take any serious tolls, but of all countries backed out they would be required to adapt. The process would be slow and painful, but China would finally be put in the hot seat. Something the economy had made us scared to do.

David Suzuki - Force of Nature - From monsters to economy and money.
Because the declaration is just that, a declaration. There is not legal opportunity to punish those who violate the articles that make up the UDHR. It becomes a sticky situation when other countries begin to judge other leaders decisions on what is best for their people. But oppressing 1.3 billion people is difficult to argue about. We cannot invade China and change their laws for them. What we can do is put economy in the backseat and let human rights drive us in the right direction.

Again, i question the validity of my words. I have no PHD or personal experience. I am one person with an opinion. This is my practise of freedom of speech, this is part of what I can do about censorship. I would love to hear your voice, leave a comment in box and tell me your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment